You’ve had pecan pie, you’ve probably even had chocolate chip pecan pie but have you had Derby pie? It blows those other two out of the water. If you took a chocolate chip pecan pie and got it drunk this is what you’d have. The hint of bourbon cuts the sweetness of the chocolate chips and the filling batter. The crunch of the pecans along with a flaky pie crust give it an unbeatable texture. Served with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream this pie can more than hold its own on any holiday table.
Adapted from Heide’s Kentucky Derby Dessert
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
4 large eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup white sugar
2.5 tablespoons bourbon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (9 inch) pie crust
confectioner sugar (optional)
melted chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place pecans on baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes or until aromatic. Allow to cool.
- Line 9-inch pie pan with pie dough and prick bottom of pie with fork.
- Place baking weights on parchment paper in pie crust and blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove pie crust from oven and allow to cool.
- Whisk brown sugar, light corn syrup, flour, butter, white sugar, bourbon, and vanilla extract together in a bowl until smooth.
- Fold pecan pieces and chocolate chips into batter mixture until incorporated
- Pour into prepared pie crust and bake until pie is set (approx. 50-60 minutes).
- Let pie cool at least 15 minutes and top with confectioner’s sugar and melted chocolate if desired.
Keywords: Derby Pie