Nothing says early summer like fresh picked strawberries. This simple cake is the perfect way to kickstart your summer. Easy to make, it pairs a light vanilla cake with chunks of delectable strawberries. Top it with a strawberry puree and this cake screams summer like no other.
Adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch springform pan* and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Beat together eggs and sugar at high speed until mixture is light in color and thickened (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add sour cream, oil and vanilla to mixture and beat until combined.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to batter 1/3 at a time, mixing between additions on low speed just until incorporated. Repeat until flour is fully incorporated.
- Pour half of the batter into springform pan. Top with half the strawberries.
- Carefully spread remaining batter over the strawberries.
- Top with remaining strawberries with cut side down, pushing berries lightly into batter.
- Bake until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (approx. 45-50 minutes).
- Allow cake to cool for approx. 15-20 minutes before removing springform ring.*
- Dust cake with powdered sugar and top with strawberry sauce (see below) if desired. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.
- While cake is baking, place strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a blender. Puree at high speed until smooth.