Want to end a cold winter day with a comfort food without all the guilt? These Roasted Winter Vegetables with Grits are exactly what you need. Your body will thank you for the delicious nutritious veggies and your tastebuds will thank you for the awesome flavors. Win, win.
2 cups brussels sprouts, halved
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
1 container white mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
3 shallots quartered
salt and pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp olive oil + 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp thyme
3 tbsp. garlic, minced
1/3 cup pine nuts
juice of half a lemon
1 tsp lemon zest
4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1 cup grits
4 ounces extra-sharp white cheddar, grated
4 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 garlic clove minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place vegetables in large bowl with 3 tbsp. olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat vegetables.
- Place vegetables on parchment lined baking sheet in an even layer being careful not to overfill the tray. If needed, use two trays.
- Place trays in oven and roast for approx. 25 minutes. Roasting time can be more or less depending on how brown/charred you like your vegetables. Turn vegetables once with a metal spatula halfway through cooking.
- Toss 3 cloves of minced garlic in 1/2 tsp olive oil and add to baking sheet for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- While the vegetables roast, heat chicken broth (or vegetable broth) in medium size pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add grits, stirring to combine. After the mixture comes back to a boil, lower heat and cover. Allow grits to simmer approx. 15-20 minutes until grits have thickened. Stir occasionally to prevent lumps.
- Remove grits from heat and add butter, cream, cheese, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In small dry skillet toast pine nuts over medium high heat until pine nuts become fragrant and beginning browning.
- In a large bowl add roasted vegetables, 1 clove of minced garlic, pine nuts, thyme, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix to combine. Salt and pepper to taste as needed.
- Serve roasted vegetables on top of grits.