This simple dish is a crowd pleaser that’s packed with flavor. Bright lemon combines with parmesan and milk to create a craveable sauce. When mixed with al dente pasta, fresh tomatoes and peppery arugula, you get a dish that’s even tastier than the sum of its parts.
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa at Home
1 lb dry fusilli
1.5 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 cups whole milk
.5 cups cream
1 cup parmesan, grated (plus more for topping dish, optional)
2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
4 oz. baby arugula
salt and pepper, to taste
- Fill large pan with water and 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- In large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 30 second to a minute until fragrant.
- Zest and juice 3 three lemons.
- Add milk, cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice to saute pan. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring sauce to a gentle boil then reduce to a simmer. Allow sauce to simmer uncovered until it begins to thicken (approx. 12-15 minutes).
- Once the sauce begins to thicken, remove from heat and stir in grated parmesan.
- While sauce simmers, add fusilli to boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain fusilli once it is done cooking. Do not rinse pasta.
- In a large serving bowl, add arugula, pasta and 2-3 slices of lemon from remaining lemon. Pour hot sauce over top and mix. Arugula will begin to wilt slightly.
- After arugula beings to wilt, add grape tomato halves and mix again until tomatoes are fully incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Top with 3-4 more lemon slices.
- If desired, top each serving with parmesan shavings.
Keywords: vegetarian, pasta, italian